Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cherry on my milkshake. And, the insanity of it all.

Um, okay. (Is what I thought to myself when I woke up this morning.)

That was in response to the dream I had: I'm in the middle of a swamp, floating on a mattress. My mattress is my desk and the swamp is my office.

That was it. That's what I remember.

I thought about it on the way to work, kind of laughing over the irony of it. Yes, irony. And as I stepped through the front door, one of the senior editors was about two feet in front of me. She looked back to see me and stopped.

"Oh, seeing you reminds me of the dream I had lastnight. You were in it."

"Um, okay. What's this dream about?"

"So, we were getting ready for prom--a bunch of us from work. And we stepped into this huge walk-in closet to choose our prom dresses; to get all pretty. And there were two dead animals in the closet."

I must have given her the craziest look. "So, um, ok. What kind of animals were they?"

"I don't remember. But, they were definitely dead."

I see. Two weird dreams. My co-worker, C, told me that the last dream was awesome in a creepy way. I laughed. Still, I wonder if it means anything. I have my own ideas.

So, today was hectic. I didn't go to lunch until about 3. I had to proof my big magazine. The huge one that is going to the conference in New Orleans. I had to pry myself away for lunch so that I could get in something else--not related to my day job.

There I was in the mall, scarfing down a Chic-Fil-A sandwich and furiously wiping the grease off my fingers so that I could get to the keys on my laptop. I sat for about five seconds and thought: "If I could just stop. Stop working. Stop writing. Stop thinking."

But guess what? I don't know if I could survive without working and writing and thinking. It drives me crazy, but it seems to be what pushes me. I love the insanity of it all.

Oh, one more thing: So, C knew I was having the craziest day. I turned down lunch with her because of the deadlines. She knew what I had on my plate. And guess what she brought me after her lunch break? She brought me an Estee Lauder bag with two lipsticks, an eyeshadow and some puffy eye cream. A nice little cherry to top of my bland, messy, sticky milkshake of a day.

Nice.

No comments: