Thursday, October 1, 2009

Back from New Orleans

What can I say? I am inspired.

My work trip to New Orleans ended up being a trip of inspiration. But, that didn't come until the flight home.

So, I went as an assistant editor of the magazine we print for this association. I was really there to cover events and to write about them every night. It was draining. And I was there by myself. You know, without my hubby, who is my rock. I love doing things with him by my side.

But, he was in Gainesville with the kids, which meant I would have to be a big girl and get to work. My very last event to cover was about finding your passion in life and using your gifts. I was ready to go to that one, since it is a topic that's been heavily on my heart lately.

But I found out that I'd be leaving the hotel at 11, which gave me no time to cover and write about the event. So, someone else did it and I was on my way to the airport.

I got to the Louis Armstrong airport and had a few hours before my flight to Atlanta. And so I asked if I could get on the early flight. As it turned out, I could. And I did. Once in Atlanta (where they lost! my luggage), I barely made it to the connecting flight. It was also an early flight.

I had a stand-by seat, which meant that they would put me there--only if there was room. I literally ran through the entire airport to make it to the flight. And when I got there they were just beginning to check people in. "Whew, I made it on time." Not really even knowing if I'd get a seat.

"Cirulli," I hear the attendant say.

(Hey, I know that name. That is the guy who owns the gym where I work out.)

Rewind about three weeks and said gym owner was having a speech about how he basically became a multi-millionaire. When I finally called to get in on the speech, it was full. And so I missed it.

But, here we were, in the same airport. And so I figured I'd at least get to meet him. "Is your name Joe?" I asked.

"Yes."

"I am a member of your gym," I said.

We began chatting and ended up being checked in at the same time. Meanwhile, I was telling him about the speech that I had missed and how his story really inspired me.

(When he was 23, he lived in a car. At one point, he didn't have enough change in his pocket to buy a Coke from McDonald's. But, he changes all of it. How? Well, that's what I wanted to know.)

As we boarded out little flight back to Gainesville, I knew we were about to part ways. He'd go to one seat, and I'd go to another. And so, I told him I was glad to have met him and that I'd be at the next speech, if he had one.

At that point, I looked at my ticket. "7D" I said. And he looked at his. "Well, what do you know? I'm 7C"

We were sitting right beside each other. How. How could that be a simple coincidence? And so, for the next hour, I got something so much better than his original session. I got the one-on-one. I asked him question after question.

In my life, I want so much more. So much more. Which is the result of a lot of frustration. He told me how to alleviate the frustration with a list of books he said had changes his life.

I scrawled the list on a few receipts I had in my purse and by the time we walked away from the flight, about 1 1/2 hour later, I was inspired. Turns out, he had taken an early flight back to Gainesville at the last minute as well. I knew it had to be God orchestrating this meeting.

I knew that God needed to get this list of books to me. I just knew it. I just know it. God works like that and I refuse to doubt. Within a few days, my husband bought me the first book. And so, now I'm off to begin the fourth chapter of "The Power of a Positive Mind."

God is cool like that.

3 comments:

Mom! Dude! said...

Suzy, what an awesome string of coincidences (or non-coincidences) that could so greatly affect your life. Could you post the list of books? I'm sure many of us would be interested in reading them and being similarly motivated as well. And welcome home!

momgive said...

Momma Moe!
So happy to see that you found me. Again? LOL. I am thrilled to hear about your darling new addition. I remember when you were going through the process. I'd LOVE to see her! You can email me at momgive (at) gmail (dot) com.

:-)

Scott & Melissa Wallace said...

Hey Suzy,
let me know what some of the book titles are. We might have some and I could mail them to you. :)
Melissa