Monday, October 5, 2009

Rainy days are for romance -- and car problems

So, I worked from home today. It was a blur. I checked in every few minutes to check my email and respond to clients. My head hurt. My body hurt. And, at the last minute, I got lucky. Hubby stayed home with me.

Everything is so much better with him by my side. Everything. Even feeling like crap is better when he is there to help me through it. I got plenty of rest and worked lightly. My job is filled with stress, but I was thanking God for it today as I sat in a quiet home, tapping away lightly on my keyboard. (I was so glad I have the option to be sick and still work.)

I started feeling better later in the day when hubby and I headed to pick up dinner from Publix. I was feeling the need to get out into some open air and a quick trip to Publix in the mom van always does a mom's soul some good.

But, the rain had other plans for me.

I was driving in the pouring-down rain when they stopped. They just stopped. The wipers no longer felt the need to clear my windshield for me. "Oh, oh ... they ... stopped. I can't see. Anything!"

"Just watch the white lines, slow down and pull over."

I pulled over, and hubby quickly figured out that the wipers had probably died somewhere along Newberry Road. After a quick and wet inspection, he hopped back in the van, soaking wet.

We creeped along slowly until we pulled up to a little automotive shop that was rather impressive. Its yellow walls were filled with little reminders of the little wonderful town we live in--Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were the first to catch my eye.

"I really love the place," I told the guy standing behind the front counter. He was the owner and he kind of glowed when I recognized all of the detail that had been poured into the place. (I bet not too many guys have said that to him before.)

So, we were stuck while they inspected the windshield wipers. But, it was so perfect. After being sick for the entire weekend that was filled with noisy children, we were forced to have a quiet moment, a quiet meal.

We walked the few feet over to a restaurant next door. We couldn't have planned it better--you know, besides the windshield wipers dying and all. But, it was rather romantic. He, sitting there soaking wet. And me just coming out of a foggy haze laced with tylenol-pm. Outside, the rain was pouring down.

Yes. It was so romantic.

Until we walked back over to that cute little shop and got a cute little (oh, but not so little) bill.

No comments: