Saturday, June 6, 2009

Publix balloons for my sis

I took my girls to Publix today for a few groceries. We're settling in the new place and the refrigerator was empty, so we took the scenic drive to our new Publix, and I felt like I was in another world.

I was so comfortable in my old Publix. You know, it was my Publix. But, the new Publix is growing on me. After we loaded the cart with some groceries, the bagger asked the girls if they wanted balloons.

I admit it: I sort of rolled my eyes. The 2-year-old is going to scream and want his own balloon when we get home. And then the balloons are going to sit in their bedroom until they deflate ... and if you're a mom, you feel me.

As we pulled out of the parking lot, I decided to make a right turn instead of a left. The left turn takes us home; and the right turn takes us to my sister's grave. "You want to give your mom a balloon?" I asked my niece.

She smiled and nodded her head. She never said a word, but the smile told me what I needed to know.

And so, we took my sister the Publix balloons. I stood back at the van and let the girls just go. I took a few shots. I thought it was such a beautiful moment. And it was peaceful--the first peaceful moment I've had at her grave.

I remember how she and I used to split Publix subs--always turkey with muenster cheese. Aww, I miss those moments with her.





5 comments:

gabriann said...

OMG This is so beautiful, you make me burst into tears,and make me realize that I also need a peaceful moment in my dad's grave...Your niece will never forget this moment, ever...thank u for sharing this with us...

Jenna said...

What a great idea!!

huneygirl07 said...

such a beautiful moment...touching words, thank you!

Ashley said...

Thank you for sharing what's in your heart. Writing is your passion and it shows through your words. Sharing this beautiful experience with you and your family is amazing. Thank you!

momgive said...

All of your words mean so much to me. I am so blessed to be able to share (transparently) with all of you. My little handful of readers ... such a blessing to me:-)