Saturday, May 30, 2009

In torturous-eyebrow-wax heaven!

Today was a crazy blur of boxes (we're moving this weekend), barbecue (company picnic) and birthday dinner (Yamato Japanese Steakhouse). Oh, and somewhere in-between all of it, I met Jaime (a professional photographer, woo hoo!) for my headshots at Kanapaha Botanical Gardens (a Gainesville gem).

So, I was exhausted and pretty much running on empty when on the way home from the editorial picnic, I told hubby that I had just one lil' stop to make. In less than 30 minutes, I'd be getting my headshots for the book. And I. hate. pictures. And my eyebrows were looking crazy. And I didn't have "the" shirt to wear. And I didn't have any earrings that I liked for the shot.

And, somewhere in the middle of my "little" list, hubby threw in the towel. "Okay" is all he could muster. I couldn't help it. I was being a total girl.

But I was bordering on being a frantic girl. With 8-year-old daughter in hand, I bolted out of the mom van and hit Happy Nail. "Eyebrows, please."

The petite Asian woman, who had been sitting quietly reading a magazine, was more than happy to see me. I laid back in the, um, eyebrow chair (?) and closed my eyes. Now, usually I kind of despise pain. But, on this day, I embraced it.

I had just stepped into Happy-Nail heaven. I listened to the soothing, classical music and I thought a heard the peaceful gushing of water and ... there were no screaming kids; and there was no sticky watermelon juice dripping from my baby's hands into the crevasses of my toes; and my eyes were closed--without the threat of my home being set ablaze.

I was in heaven! I mean, until the ... pull, rip and burn.

Oh, I don't even care if you do it again, woman! Just let me sit here in the cool of the quiet, dimly lit room. After a few pull, rip and burns, she began gently massaging my forehead. I knew it was coming to an end as she rubbed the cool, post-eyebrow lotion just above and around my eyebrows.

But, wait, can't we re-do them? I mean, isn't it possible that "you missed a spot?" Yes, you missed a spot. Please, let me just sit here in this chair with the music and the faux waterfall sounds and the no-screaming kids. Please, can I? I'll be your guinea pig. Just let me sit. And do nothing.

But, my time was up. And then I thought: Wow. I don't even care about the pain. As long as there is peace and quiet. You think she'll remember me if I go back tomorrow? I can pretend to be my twin and …

(Yes, people, this is what having four kids will do to you.)

Indeed, when there are four kids, the torturous eyebrow wax becomes your version of a spa treatment. Scary, wonderful stuff. I look at it this way, though: my eyebrows are going to look amazing until the last kid leaves for college.


Everyone always loves the volcano!

My two favorite girls at the ediorial picnic. My daughter (right) and neice (left).

Me and my boy. He is the one I prayed for--for an entire year. And then God gave him to me; and on many occassions, God reminded me of that! "Well, you wanted him!" LOL. He is my most challenging child and I love every bit of it. Tonight, that is. Because he is sleeping right now.

Wanting to be like his firefighter daddy! See Rock in the background? No, not a rock. My Rock!



Everyone in the place thought these were all my kids. Makes sense because they are all the same (shades of) color, lol.

Me and my hubby. There are three kids missing from this picture. I can't believe I have four children. Yes, I still have days when I have to wrap my mind around that one.

2 comments:

Marjorie said...

You're kids are all gorgeous! You have such a beautiful family and you are looking great. And I LOVE that you are blogging again! So glad!!!

Anonymous said...

You looked FABULOUS for your pictures! I had a great time meeting you and hope you had a wonderful evening with your beautiful family!

http://jlsphotoblog.com/2009/05/sharing-an-afternoon-with-suzy-gainesville-florida-portrait-photographer/